What I have been doing all this time

It’s probably become clear to those of you who actually pay attention to such things that since I have returned from Scotland my buffer has gone from very little to none. What have I been doing all this time? You may very well ask.

One thing that I’ve been doing is adjusting to my new medication, which for the first week and a half left me sleep deprived, groggy and sometimes downright bitchy. This was not conducive to drawing, but I didn’t let that affect my productivity. Instead I channeled it into other things.

My new site design for LleuGarnock is just about done, and it finally really is CSS based. I could change the color scheme of the whole site just by changing one file. Teaching myself CSS has been frustrating but I think it’s starting to pay off.

That’s pretty cool but it doesn’t really advance the comic itself. So I made sure to spend my time on writing too. I got quite a few scripts written, but the big thing I did was to consolidate all of my notes. Last week, if I wanted to get an idea of how the rest of the story was going to play out, I would have had to sift through two drafts of the novel, and a pile of not-necessarily-chronological notes written on folded pieces of printer paper, some of which were still valid and some of which were not. It could get pretty ugly.

So instead of drawing, I sat down with my drafts and my pile of notes and I typed all the notes up in order, interspersed with the still-relevant sections of my previous draft. Most people will not understand how satisfying, and even fun, I found this to be. I love organizing and rearranging things, especially words.

My favorite part of transcribing something that I have handwritten is that on the computer, there is always enough space to add anything you want. Whenever I type up what I’ve been writing I think of a dozen new things to add. So not only did I put all my notes in order, and not only did I get to see a much more cohesive picture of the structure of the story, but I added pieces to start filling in the holes, and pull it together even farther.

The result is a thirteen-page printed summary of the rest of the story, which will be much easier to work with than all my drafts and notes. I left room in it to write, which should reduce the buildup of separate sheets of notes. And it will be easy to carry with me if I need something to do while I’m waiting for something or something. You know.

And also I have been doing some drawing. Both comics have been pretty art-intensive recently. It’s mostly the upcoming pages of Dragon’s Fall that are taking up my time with their intense visuals, but Arledge took a lot of my energy too. I officially detest drawing cities.

But as much as I may complain about having to draw some things, I am always pleased to have drawn them. I actually like being an artist sometimes. I may have forgotten what being an artist meant when I was only drawing LleuGarnock. Dragon’s Fall has raised my awareness of what I can do, and I’m very excited about some of the things I’m going to be drawing for that project. This is great, but sometimes that awareness can get in the way of the timely churning out of LleuGarnock pages.

I’m trying to learn to speed up the process of drawing a page while still producing something that I can be satisfied with. It’s a difficult balance and it’s going to take some time, but hopefully for the moment I can keep drawing all my pages in time for their scheduled updates. That would be fine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: